A principal mandate of NBMCA is to prevent the loss of life and property due to flooding and erosion and to conserve and enhance natural resources. Ontario Regulation 41/24 is a key tool in fulfilling this mandate because it regulates development in areas where the control of flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches, pollution or the conservation of land may be affected by development.

NBMCA administers Ontario Regulation 177/06 - Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses (DIA) - pursuant to Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act.

If your property is within a regulated area, you may need a permit before you:

  • place or excavate fill
  • build a new home or cottage or replace an existing home or cottage
  • construct a home addition, driveway, garage, shed, deck or pool
  • build a shoreline breakwall,
  • install a culvert
  • landscape which includes filling, re-grading and adding hardscape or retaining walls

Regulated areas

NBMCA regulates development and alterations in or on the areas within NBMCA’s jurisdiction (see map in sidebar) that are within a regulated area (see Map Your Property for a searchable map of NBMCA's Approximate Regulated Areas):

  • adjacent or close to the shoreline of inland lakes that may be affected by flooding, erosion or dynamic beaches;
  • river or stream valleys that have depressional features associated with a river or stream, whether or not they contain a watercourse;
  • hazardous lands;
  • wetlands;
  • other areas where development could interfere with the hydrologic function of a wetland, including areas within 30 metres of all wetlands (all wetlands treated the same); or
  • described as the “Regulation Limit” shown on a series of maps filed at the head office of the Authority. If there is a conflict between the description of areas described above and the areas as shown on the series of maps, the description of areas above prevails.

Pursuant to the Act, Section 28.1, NBMCA may grant permission to straighten, change, divert or interfere with the existing channel of a river, creek, stream or watercourse or to change or interfere with a wetland.

Under the Conservation Authorities Act, development means:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind,
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure,
  • increasing the size of a building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure,
  • site grading, or
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material (fill) originating on the site or elsewhere.

Municipalities are also required to consult with NBMCA and obtain a permit for any ditches, culverts, drains or other municipal road work if it is being undertaken within NBMCA’s regulated area.  Commercial and industrial development are also subject to the regulations and permitting process.

To find out if your property is within an area regulated by NBMCA contact the Regulations Officer at 705 474-5420 or email


Call us First.  If you are considering a project that may require a permit, we strongly encourage you to first contact our office.  This consultation will help to determine if you need a permit and the information required, such as plans and studies,  that may be needed for us to assess your permit application.  This could save you time and money. In order to submit an application, you must be the owner of the property listed on the application or complete a Landowner Authorization Form.

Client Checklist

Complete Your Application. When you are ready to apply, you will need to submit a completed application for permit and the appropriate review fee.    Include all drawings, studies and information required, signed and dated, as we cannot begin to process your submission until the application is complete.  DIA Permit Application Form

The Review Process.  Once NBMCA receives your completed application, staff review the plans, complete a site inspection and take the steps needed to make an informed decision.  The review process may take 15-30 business days.   NBMCA staff value working with applicants to find solutions that will balance your project needs and wants with the needs of the natural environment.   If your application is denied, you can appeal it through a hearing process. 

What you'll need

Here's what you'll need to file your DIA application:

  • Landowner contact information
  • Contact information for an agent, such as a contractor or consultant, if applicable
  • Address of the proposed work
  • A description of the project, including your site plan and design drawings of the proposal(s)
  • Applicable project fee (see fee schedule)

How to submit your application

We encourage you to email your application directly to Githan Kattera - githan.kattera@nbmca.ca

Fax:  (705) 474-9793  

In person drop off:  15 Janey Ave., North Bay.   

Fees and Payments

Regulations program services and fees, as well as NBMCA's Fees Policy, are outlined on the Application Forms & Fees section of the website.

Legal Inquiries

When submitting a property information request to NBMCA, solicitors/agents must provide the following information:

  • A cover letter specifying details of the request
  • Payment of the applicable fee
  • Address and legal description
  • Closing date.  Please note that it takes a minimum of five business days for staff to respond to property information requests.  Responses may be provided sooner if time permits.  Requests are dealt with on a first come, first served basis.